Saturdays, October 22, 2005 - January 28, 2006
Instructor: David Pohl
$100 ($90 MF members); scholarships available
Registration required by October 10, 2005; space is limited
- Learn about the history of Book Arts, artist books and journals, zines, graphic arts and alternative publications
- Discover how contemporary artists use ideas from books, text, information, sounds and images to create room-sized environments called installations
- Discover a variety of methods for creating and using artist books, such as journals, diaries, memory books and sketchbooks
- Experiment with a variety of bookmaking and binding methods, such as accordion, staple, baggie, found object and sewn books
- Make altered book sculptures
- Work with artist David Pohl, whose MF installation Mantra, featured photograph record players, record albums, altars and found objects
- Create and discuss book-based artworks in order to develop idease, concepts, artistic approaches and personal expression
- Investigate multi-media installation art and explore the creative practice of artists from around the world
- Curate and present original artwork during a public reception at the Mattress Factory!
Welcome to P[art]icipate: An Active Archive! Don't know where to start? Visit the About
section to learn how to browse.